Sunday, October 26, 2008

Digging

"Digging" by Seamus Heaney reminds me about my own life. The author writes about his grandfather and father's potato farm. He compares his job, being a writer, with working on a farm. While those occupations are very different, they both require digging. "Over his shoulder, digging down and down/For the good turf. Digging" (Lines 23-24). This passage shows that the author appreciates the work of his father and grandfather. They dig in the potato field all day for a living. "The squat pen rests/I'll dig with it." (Lines 29-30). These final lines show the author's connection of being a writer and growing up on a potato farm. He uses his pen as his father and grandfather used their spades in the field. Even though the author did not take over the family farm, I felt that the author greatly appreciated the work and admiration of his family's work. "By God, the old man could handle a spade" (Line 15). I can relate to the same appreciation and reasons for admiring my family's work as the author. I grew up watching my grandfather and father work on our family farm. Like the author, I do not plan on going into the same business. I hope to be able to "dig" in my own career rather then in my fathers'. I know that growing up on a farm has affected my life and my future, "But I've no spade to follow men like them" (Line 27). I may have different goals then farming, but in the end farming will effect my life just as in the poem.

No comments: