Monday, October 27, 2008

Digging

As I read this poem, I realized that this poet is the grandson and is talking about his father and grandfather. After reading the poem, I realized that he was looking back on his past and remembering his grandfather and father. The poets grandfather and father were farmers and the poet referred to his grandfather as being a hard worker and better then he would ever be. Heaney talks about how the farming has been around for generations. In lines 17 and 18 Heaney states, "My grandfather cut more turf in a day Than any other man in Toner's bog." It shows that his grandfather was a fast worker and a hard worker too.

After reading the poem I was brought back to the stories of my grandparents and how hard they worked compared to now, granted we have advanced technology compared to a 100 years ago. It goes to show that I don't think we could live the way our grandparents did, especially in the field. They would pick by hands and now we use tractors and all the extra accessories that we have that they didn't have. Heaney shows his readers that working hard in life allows to achieve anything.

Heaney pointed out that our grandparents worked hard and that we should appreciate what they did. My grandparents always tell me stories about how hard and long they would work in the field just to get a row done, now days it takes little time. Their hard work has showed and it allows us to be where we are at in the world today.

No comments: