Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stop All the Clocks, Cut Off the Telephone - Blog 4

This is my favorite poem so far! For some reason I really like it when the words at the end of a line of poetry rhyme. It creates a sing-songy-kind-of-lilt that I really like.

After the first reading to me it sounded like this poem is talking about someone very special to the speaker who has died. "Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come." (line 4) T0 me, this speaker is basically saying, the world should stop because this person has died. "The stars are not wanted now: put out every one/ Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun." (13, 14)

When I read the poem through a second time, it also spoke to me in a way of lost or trampled dreams (my marriage is something that came to mind; as it feels rather lost and trampled on). "I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong" (12) Looking at it this way, the beginning of the poem creates an imagery of the death of something that was very important to the speaker, and the rest of the poem creates the scene of the world of nature also mourning this loss; "Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood." (15) The speaker seems to feel so sad, mournful and hopeless: "For nothing now can ever come to any good." (16) In some ways its hard to read that because sometimes I feel the exact same way...

No comments: