Sunday, October 26, 2008

Moving Camp too Far

In the poem "Moving Camp too Far" by Nila Northsun, the narrator cannot speak or tell of the past moving experiences or how there were battles fought by their ancestors. "I can't speak of" (line 1). Probably because he never lived that kind of life. Cannot tell the story of the battles because he was not there. "I can't tell" (4). Maybe they are not allowed to bring it up in a conversation, in fear of starting another battle. There are a few things he can do now that is is the future. "I can see an eagle/almost extinct/on slurpee plastic cups" (12-15). I feel as if the narrator is Indian but lives a more civilian life. Although he can do all those things that native Americans do, I get the impression that he does it because he feels he has to but doesn't like to. "I can/and unfortunately/I do" (21-23). The word unfortunately tells me that the speaker doesn't look at himself as being fortunate to be Indian and is not so proud like most others would be. Also when using the lowercase "i", this could mean that he feels small and not so popular.

No comments: