Monday, October 27, 2008

"Moving camp too far"

With the area that we live in , I feel that a lot of us can relate to this poem. No we can't go back in history and see what it was really like for Native American's. There are a lot of stereo types about Native American's today and how we view the culture today. For example the second paragraph that starts out with "I can" all of those lines point to the stereotypes of modern times. At the end when the speaker says "I can & unfortunately I do" (lines 21-23) this refers to how sad it is that these stereotypes are the closest ways of being in touch with the culture. I feel it can also be a respect issue, that we've lost a sense of dignity for the culture as well. Eating buffalo burgers hardly compares to having the audacity to actually hunt buffalo. I feel that this poem was kind of a reawakening about how we as a society get lost in modern stereotypes and take for granted the history before us.

No comments: