Sunday, October 5, 2008

"The Chrysanthemums"

I enjoyed reading John Steinbeck's 'The Chrysanthemums". At first I had a hard time getting into it until the man in the wagon showed up. Once he showed up it became interesting because you didn't know what was going to happen next, it was out of the ordinary. At first it seemed Elisa was annoyed with the stranger trying to beg for work however she did remain friendly. An example of this is when Elisa says "I'm sorry, I haven't anything for you to do" (635). She had to say this more than once to him. Once he became interested in her flowers it made her feel proud. She worked really hard to make her flowers grow so well. It gave her a sence of happiness I think. She was in a better mood knowing that she could teach and help someone else. After the man had left, she looked in the mirror, dressed in her nicest clothes. I think this was because of the sense of pride she had for her garden and helping others, something a woman could do that was appreciated. She often asked about different things and was told each time that it is not something for a woman or that she wouldn't like it. Once her and her husband left, she noticed what she thought were her flowers on the side of the road. "She tried not to look as they passed it" (639). I think at this point she felt crushed, she lost her pride in the good things she was doing. Her mood changed again and she felt back to not feeling as if she was worthy enough. Henry said "Now you've changed again" (639). I think that is why she cried at the end of the story. She had to face reality again that men had the upperhand in life. I'm not sure what time frame this story takes place but I think this might take a place in an era where men and women didn't have as many rights and gender roles and sterotypes were more prominent.

No comments: