Sunday, October 5, 2008

"Doe Season"

This was a story of a little girl "a doe" trying to fit in with the men "the bucks." They didn't think she would fit in and didn't think her practice shooting would equal her shot at a deer "Target shooting ain't deer shooting." (457) They also bragged about how they got deer last year and wouldn't think Andy would get one "I went hunting with my daddy and Versh last season, and we got ourselves one." (461) Andy was picked of for being too masculine, however for some reason they thought of her as a little girl and didn't think she would fit in. In the story she trys to learn and trys to fit in. She is the only one in the story to get a deer and she feels bad about this, she doesn't want to inflict any pain on any animals. I feel she is learning that this isn't for her and Andy isn't who she is, as stated in this quote "Andy, Andy (but that wasn't her name, she would no longer be called that)" Overall I feel the auther did a great job of painting a good picture and showing the growth of Andrea. I could really relate to this story because I remember going hunting with family when I was little and being treated simular to Andrea.

No comments: