Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"

I liked this story by Joyce Carol Oates. At first it reminded me of the days when I was in high school and I would hang out with my friends. This story wasn't what I expected, when the boy came by in the car at first I thought it would be someone her age until he was described as seemingly old.  The description of his appearance and the search for the new hip words kids use today drew me to the conclusion that he was much older and older than he told her. I thought it was just going to be a simple boy which smooth talks her and they drive off and live happily ever after. I wasn't thinking that in reality you shouldn't go with strangers. He was too persistent with her and made it seem as if he was stalking her. He knew everything about her. I didn't expect this, especially when he said "Soon as you touch the phone I don't need to keep my promise and can come inside. You won't want that" (518). That line Arnold Friend used gave me shivers. It was very suspenseful. What seemed innocent at first took a dangerous turn and you really can't trust anyone. I also thought this was kind of ironic because in the beginning Connie was proud of how pretty she was and she would complain that the rest of the family was plain. Connie's mother would tell her "Stop gawking at yourself, who are you?  You think you're so pretty? “(509); in the end it was Connie's looks that got her in trouble. Arnold Friend sought Connie out because she was pretty and he didn't like plain women. Her vainness seemed to get the best of her. 

No comments: