Monday, October 6, 2008

The Lottery

I must say this is probably the most horrid story I have yet to read!! In the introduction to the story, it said that Shurley Jackson liked in a small town with her husband, but was never excepted by the townspeople. I wonder why!!! The idea behind this story reminds me that this still can happen today and we don't even realise it. I don't mean that people still get stoned, but I do mean that people do things over and over again that don't make sense. People still do things that may be wrong, but they continue to do it because there is something in them that makes them do it. I know there is a lot of times when people don't want to stand up and say something that's against the status quo because they are scared. We don't always know what they are scared of, it could be their boss; fear of loosing their job. Or they could be scared of a family member or a close friend for fear that there will be a split/break up. I think a big question we should ask is what is the status quo? and why is it so important to keep the status quo? And then ask what would happen if I break the status quo? and is it worth it to break it? "'It isn't fair, it isn't right,' Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her."(411) Think about that.

No comments: