Monday, November 3, 2008

Barbie Doll

I think this piece is really before its time. This made me think first of my own history with the Barbie Doll. As a child I had thirty plus Barbies with all their accessories and as I grew older I packed them all up in a box in hopes that one day my daughter would one day play with them. I now laugh when I think of those Barbies. They still are in that box even though I now have a daughter of my own. I have no desire to have my daughter play with Barbies. As this piece describes they represent a superficial and unrealistic view of a women today. For they praise only an outer beauty at standards most of us will never meet. My mother was always a strong feminist. I remember being told many times as a child that if a Barbie with its current measurements lived in real life its boobs would be too large for its frame leaving the women unable to stand. Funny how I was taught this but yet was provided with so many Barbies. I guess as most social change occurs it will occur in stages. Maybe my daughter won’t one day be told, “You have a great big nose and fat legs, (line 6)” when she reaches puberty, leaving her with a stronger self-esteem then I was.

No comments: