Monday, November 3, 2008

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone

The poem "Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone" by W. H. Auden, got me to think. When someone close to you dies, it is natural to mourn their loss. Some people are able to move past it quickly while others feel as if the world has ended. At first I felt that the speaker was describing a famous person's death. "Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead/ Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead" (Lines 5-6). This action would be fitting if a public figure such as the president had died. While I continued to read, "My non, my midnight, my talk, my song/ I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong" (Lines 11-12), I realized that it was the speaker's love that had died. I felt that the speaker was being a bit over dramatic, but that is understandable when you lose the love of your life. While the speaker may think that the clocks have stopped ticking and life can not move forward, they must remember that life can not just stop. "For nothing now can ever come to any good" (Line 16), is simply not true and it is not what her love would want for her.

No comments: