Monday, November 3, 2008

"Fire and Ice"

I liked this poem "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost, for the fact that it was simple and the tone was easier to understand. I believe this poem showed the feelings of indifference and hatred towards the world. The speaker didn't care which way the world ended. I believe that the speaker chose fire as his first choice because of the lines "From what I've tasted of desire I told with those who favor fire" (lines3-4). You can attach the word "desire" with "fire" such as burning (fire), intense, or consuming desire. The speaker's desire is being consumed with hate. I also feel that the speaker gives off almost a numb feeling and indifferent attitude. "Is also great And would suffice" (lines 8-9) this show that the speaker really doesn't care which way the world ends as long as it ends. The speaker says "I think I know enough hate" (line 6), perhaps the speaker is depressed or has numerous bad experiences throughout his life. I believe the speaker might be at a constant struggle as well, perhaps and inner and outer, like fire and ice which are opposites.

No comments: