Monday, November 3, 2008

"Moving Camp Too Far" Poem #4

I found that this poem was very true, every word of it. The one lines that I did not understand was "counting coup/or taking scalps" (lines 6-7). I understood the taking scalps but not the counting coup. I looked up coup and the defintion was something like a small group of people overthrowing the government. Maybe this meant the indians working to keep their territiories, and also the fighting for it. Some battles lost but many others were won. The days from when the indians roamed free and hunted buffalo were a long time ago. Now many of the Native Americans left today only have the small reminders on tourist info and what they hear from their family to tell them of how it really was to "...hunt buffalo/or do the ghost dance" (9-10). I think it is great how the Native Americans have not let go of their ancestry as they still do things such as powwows and kept many of their old customs considering how civilized everything in the United States has become since those days. This poem was very straightforward and easy for me to understand. She worded it very well and definetely helped me to see what she was feeling.

No comments: