Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Real Cool

In the poem "We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks displays irony in the title. The informal dictation displayed in the poem is almost funny. Each like is shortened but makes a point. When I read this poem, it feels like something you would hear your parents telling you of what not to do. I can hear my parents telling me to go to college and study hard in school. This poem is a reflection of what could happen if you don't. It is a brief but to the point. School, stay away from drugs, be responsible and live long. "We/ Strike straight" (line 3-4) saying that they don't walk the straight line. Everyone knows people like that. People who had fun through the years and now regret it. "We/Die soon." (line 7-8) Unfortunately I know a handful of people since I went to high school that made some poor choices and did in fact, die too soon.

No comments: