Monday, November 3, 2008

Fire and Ice

I really enjoyed this poem. I loved the use of rhythm and rhyme. It is a very dark, pessimistic piece. I am not sure if I have ever thought of how the world would end but I have to agree that fire is the most likely. This was my first reaction to the piece but then I started to look for a deeper meaning. One word hate from the line, “I think I know enough of hate, (line 6)” stuck out to me. I began to think of this whole poem as if it was speaking of the destruction of hate. To me the message that comes across was that no matter the form in which hate is shown, destruction always follows. I wonder if this is true. Does hate always lead to destruction? I agree with Robert Frost that hate will always lead us to our demise through fire or ice.

No comments: