Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Barbie Doll

If I had to rewrite this poem to interlace the same struggles that young men go through in a very demanding society detailing perfection, strength, and dexterity; I would title this poem, "GQ doll". I would present images of masculinity; from six pack abs to an indescribable sense of strength. Some of the social norms that would be represented would be the ability not to show weakness or buckle under pressure. I would also include the sense of being indestructible; a common misconception that young men often times are led to believe. I also think it would be important to show the power of scrutiny among other individuals in comparison with, "Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said: You have a great big nose and fat legs" (Piercy, 991). For young men though; often times it is not being able to compete or perform at a level comparable to their other counterparts.

No comments: