Saturday, November 7, 2009

Theme- "Porphyria's Lover"

"Porphyria's Lover" written by Robert Browning is a very misleading poem when you first engage in the poem. It is portrayed to be a love story. "She put her arm about her waist, And made her smooth white shoulder bare, And all her yellow hair displaced, And stooping, made my cheek lie there, And spread, o'er all, her yellow hair, Murmuring how she loved me". (16-21 Browning) Those lines make you think they are in love. As you read on in the poem it takes on a dramatic change. Her lover was selfish and cold hearted. "Porphyria worshipped me; surprise Made my heart swellm and still it grew, While I debated what to do". (33-35 Browning) You can tell there just from that statement he was very controlling and he is planning something when he states "while I debated what to do". "A thing to do, and all her hair. In one long yellow string I wound three times her little throat around, And strangled her. No pain she felt; I am quite sure she felt no pain." (38-42 Browning) He was selfish enough to murder his lover for the intent he would have her forever. Her spirit will never forgive him but in his mind she was the only one to have her and he wanted to keep it that way. "And thus we sit together now, And all night long we have not stirred, And yet God has not said a word! (58-60 Browning) Now that he is killed her and they sit there together not exchanging words while his lover is emotionless and her spirit has left her. God hasn't sent any signs that she is ok. God will never forgive him for killing his lover.

No comments: