Monday, November 2, 2009

My Last Duchess

"My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning is spoke to us from the point of view of the husband of the Duchess.The husband seem to show the picture of his wife as a trophy. He kept it behind a curtain, which to me seems odd because when you lose someone you love you want there picture out to see, not kept hidden. I believe that there was more of an ownership of his wife than a happy marriage, in the line "I gave gave commands; Then all smiles stopped together." The tone sounds almost possessive about her. The Duchess was happy in her life until he started to change into someone she had not married. To who the husband is speaking, I really am not sure. I would think that it would be someone of great title, since he seems to be possessive of his late wife, his trophy, I would imagine that it would have to be someone of importance for him to reveal her picture to them.
Missy McCleary

No comments: