Monday, November 2, 2009

"Barbie Doll"

The poem "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy is about society's view of young women. If I were to rewrite this poem by considering the outside forces that affect young men I would focus more the different ideas that society holds about young men. I would write about how society has different standards for young men that are considered the "norm". Young men are expected to be involved in sports and they are also expected to enjoy working and being outside. They may be expected to enjoy working with their hands and to not mind getting dirty. As far as appearance goes they are expected to be muscular and physically fit. Their peers and also their parents may expect them to hold in their emotions, it would be considered the "norm" to not cry if you are a male in our society. The title of my poem would be "The Experience of a Young Man", it is not too original but it explains everything that I would be trying to communicate to the reader of my poem. I would want the reader to imagine society's idea of masculinity by using words like; strong and athletic.

No comments: