Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Last Duchess~ Brook M. Wilken

In the poem, "My Last Duchess", Robert Browning uses intricate language, tone, and voice to depict the true, inner character of the upper class Duke. The intricate use of formal language and the way in which the Duke expresses his thoughts, indicate that the Duke is of a higher society and is completely consumed with the idea that he is to be honored and glorified by all. “But to myself they turned (since none puts by The curtain I have drawn for you, but I)” (Browning 703). This passage indicates that he believes he is the center of attention and he is in charge of signaling the end. It is apparent throughout the poem that the Duke believes he is better than his last duchess and makes frequent reference to her excessive flirtation. He appears to believe that he is too sophisticated and high in character to even approach her about her flirtatious tendencies. “My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name With anybody’s gift. Who’d stoop to blame This sort of trifling… I choose Never to stoop” (Browning 703). He has made it very clear that he will not stoop to her level, suggesting that she may not be good enough for him. He is speaking, possibly, to a member of the Court’s family due to the fact that he is interested in marrying the Court’s daughter. The main purpose of sharing the last duchess painting with this individual is to establish a clear warning of what his expectations are for his next marriage. He makes it very clear that once he says his vows, the women will forever be his object. “Though his fair daughter’s self, as I avowed At starting, is my object” (Browning 704). The fact that such emphasis is placed on “my object” again reiterates that he is to be glorified by her and she is just a mere object, just as the painting. It is ironic, however, that he has chosen to capture the last duchess’ blushing smile on canvas, when in fact, that smile is what drove him into a jealous rage.

No comments: