Monday, June 2, 2008

A Good Man is Hard to Find Journal Entry #1

A Good Man is Hard to Find My first impression was shock. I was wondering when the grandmother was going to wake up from a dream. I re-read the story and I began to realize all the foreshadowing the author uses. When the family leaves for Florida it seems like they will encounter the Misfit because the grandmother states"I wouldn't take my children in ant direction with a criminal like that aloose in it." The grandmother also refers to the Misfit at the restaurant stating that if criminals like him knew about this place they would for sure drop by. Even though it is a shock that the grandmother recognizes the Misfit at the end stating "Why your one of my babies. You're one of my own children!" It was foreshadowed when she was thinking that she recognized him as if she had known him all her life. The author also referrers to death when they drive by a cemetery, and refers to Gone with the Wind. The Misfit must have felt out of place with his family not to have been around them for years. His own mother didn't know him at first. It is ironic that the Misfit kills his own mother especially when she asked him about his family and he stated "God never made a finer woman than my mother and my daddy's heart was pure gold." The grandmother also tells him that he must be from common blood. It was a tragic ending and it seems unreal.

No comments: