Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Lottery

My first impressions of this story were interesting. The title lead me to believe that this was going to be a drawing for money throughout the community. As I was reading I noticed the way the story kept talking about the black box that contained all the names. It seemed to be important for the people that the box contained original things from the box that was used to first start this lottery. As all the town people started gathering it seemed as people weren't scared and they all came as they were supposed to. I noticed that it was important that the men of the family drew the name out of the black box. One case of a man not being able to make it lead the wife to be able to draw for him. As I kept reading the whole situation played out equal to me. They all did the same thing and it seemed very organized. When they called the Hutchinson family and Tessie started yelling that it wasn't fair and that there wasn't enough time to take any paper her husband wanted I then realized that this wasn't a lottery for money. I started to wonder what kind of a bad lottery it could be. It wasn't until the end of the story that I realized the intent of the story. I never would have thought it was a murder. That is what I gathered out of it. The people used the stones the children gathered to kill whoever was chosen out of the black box. I really didn't understand why and how the children can play this role in this lottery.

No comments: