Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"The Lottery"

I am just beginning to read this story but i had to write my reactions to the first page. I love the description from the first paragraph of "The Lottery" it describes the day. "The morning of June 27Th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green(Par 1)." With this description in my mind i get an image of a beautiful little town full of happiness and color. I also enjoyed reading the description of all the different people, The boys gathered rocks and piled them together, The girls stood talking with each other and looking at the boys, Little children hung onto family members, The men stood together and talked about tractors and such, and also the woman greeted each other and gossiped. This description can resemble different society's. the way it describes each is what we actually will find or expect in each particular model.
As i continued reading i didn't know really what to expect with the lottery. I didn't know what they were doing. By the time i was done reading it, the townspeople were throwing stones at her as a sacrifice. I did not enjoy the ending of this story at all it deserved me. I thought it was going to be a nice town story but really its a story of sacrifice. I did not like the ending of this story !

No comments: