Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"A Worn Path"

I like this story. This was a story about an old black woman who I thought was physically and mentally strong. She would not let anything or anybody stop her from completing her mission. Her grandson was the most important thing to her, more than money or how people treated her. She knew he needed medicine and she would go down the worn path to get it for him. She didn't apologize to the hunter when he dropped a nickel and picked it up and put it in her pocket. I liked that she wasn't scared when he put the riffle to her head. When asked if she was scared, she responded by saying "No, sir, I seen plenty go off closer by, in my day, and for less than what I done" (p.452). She got another nickel for charity because it was Christmas. I liked the quote "I going to the store and buy my child a little windmill they sells, made out of paper" (p.452). She is still thinking of her grandson although she has nothing. She takes the worn path back home.

No comments: