Thursday, September 25, 2008

"A Worn Path"

In the story “A Worn Path” by Eduora Welty, I thought the author had a sense of humor when Phoenix Jackson meets the hunter with his dogs. I could just picture her tumbling down the hill and being stuck. She was so careful the whole way through the woods but then she fell. When she came across the hunter, I felt like he did not return the courtesy or respect that she had given him. “Well Granny! he laughed. What are you doing here?” (451) The fact that he laughed while she was down made him seem like a jerk but her response to him was ever better. “Lying on my back like a June-bug waiting to be turned over, mister.” (451) Although he helped her up, she had to reach for his hand first. Why wouldn’t he have just put out his hand before he said anything? Then a little further into the conversation, he asks her how old she is. “How old are you, Granny?” (452) That seemed so rude to me. Obviously she was old. Did he need an age? I liked her response. She never answered his question. “There is not telling, mister.” (452)
I liked her determination and her wise cracks. On top of all that, she got to take a nickel from him that he never knew he lost.

No comments: