Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Digging" by Seamus Heaney

There is a lot of meaning in this poem. The speaker is praising all of the qualities of his father and grandfather, but at the same time is vowing that he will not work in the same manner that they have. He will work hard at writing. He will not work himself into the very ground which has fed him and yet taken the energy of his father and grandfather. His statement "But I've no spade to follow men like them," (P 679 Ln 28) also makes it seem like he feels he is not of the same caliber as they were.
I can relate to his feelings, my stepfather and grandfather were real "slave drivers." I grew up working for both of them on the farm. I like the country, but I do not want to work 24/7 like is required on a farm. I like the 40 hour weeks which allow you to still enjoy life.

No comments: