Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Jump Cabling - Poetry Blog 3

I was intrigued by the poem called "Jump Cabling" by Linda Pastan. At first I thought the poem was kind of an allegory about touch now (and I could be way off here but... I'll just say what I'm thinking) I think the poem is talking about making love.

In the first three lines of the poem could translate, "we touched, and you took off my clothes to see my intricacies underneath." Then this couple is together, and there is a wonderful energy binding them together. (lines 1-5).

Lines 6 and 7, "When my car like the princess, in the tale woke with a start" reads to me of the female being the princess and finding arousal (since it usually takes longer for women).

line 8 seems like her decision to reach the climax together (sorry I'm really not trying to be too crude or base here): "I thought why not ride the rest of the way together?" (line 8).

The spaces between the words about the cars and the other words "touched, of mine, underneath, ect..." I think reflect the lovemaking process and bring this poem about jump starting a car to a level of sharing in this couple's sexual enjoyment.

Now I'm really kind of embarrassed to post this because I could be way off and shouldn't have posted something so "sexual," but really, that's exactly how the poem reads to me.

(I used the link to Jennifer gave us to read the poem, so all of my line citations are cited from the poem located on this website: lebron.msn.com).

*gulp, clicking on "publish post... * (please don't fail me!)

No comments: