Monday, October 20, 2008

“Where Are You Going, Where Have you Been?”

I found this story very disturbing. Connie is introduced like most fifteen years old; self absorbed and thinking they are much more mature then they are. Connie is still a child and does not have the skills of an older adult that she wants to be. This innocence is taken from Connie. Many young girls get in trouble at this age. They are curious and want to explore their sexuality but because of their lack of experience they end up getting taken advantage of. As a mother of a daughter I found myself thinking about how it is that I can protect her in the future. Connie instinctually knew that what was going on was wrong but did not have the confidence in herself to trust her gut. Her desire to experience new things and the manipulation of others got her in trouble. I just wish I knew what in our society has created this situation to occur over and over. Clearly it is in the parenting of both our daughter and sons. I will try to build my daughter’s self-esteem while empowering her and if I have a son teach them how to respect women.

No comments: