Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Those Winter Sundays"

"Those winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden, Is a poem that I believe in some we all can relate. The speaker is a child which it is implied by the sentence "Sundays too my father got up early"(line 1). This poem states that the father has cracked hands, "then with cracked hands that ached"(line 3), which implies that he is a hard worker. Although he is a hard worker is not thanked for his work. Yet the speaker’s father works so hard to keep the house warm and their shoes cleaned for the speaker. So the father works to provide even though he is not appreciated. I think he is not so appreciated because the speaker does not know what the father goes through as implied in lines 13-14 "What did I know, what did I know/of love's austere and lonely offices?" I looked up the word "austere"(line 14), which means cold manner. The speaker does not yet know of loves cold manner or the feeling of those long hard working days.

No comments: