Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

The poem “Do not go gentle into that good night” written by Dylan Thomas was confusing to me. I re-read the poem a few times, but I couldn’t quite get the right idea. I tired reading between the lines, but I still am confused. The part, “Old age should burn and rave at close of day;” (line 2) makes me think that old age should not come until you are ready and want it to come; however, I don’t think that is right because that doesn’t make any sense. “And you, my father, there on the sad height, / Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray, / Do not go gentle into that good night.” (16-18) hits me as he sees his father as an aged man, and he can really see how he has aged when he looks at him. He remembers his father when he was young, strong, and healthy. He also sees his father when he had more life in him.

No comments: