Monday, November 10, 2008

You Fit into Me

When I first read “you fit into me” I never thought of any positive connotation in the first stanza. My original thought was that of a sharp hook into an eyeball and that thought was reiterated by the second stanza “a fish hook/an open eye”. I was content with that thought and figured that the author just wasn’t very lucky in love. It wasn’t until I read the Unit 10 notes that there was further interpretation that needed to be done…which is like most poems so I don’t know why I thought this poem would be simple.

After further analysis and a little googling I discovered the first stanza meant a hook and eye closure, duh. After looking at the poem with that image in my mind I decided that the poem is still simple and gruesome. I cringe every time I read it. I still believe the author is making the point that love hurts but knowing that it will hurt even worse if you are alone, or “taking a fish hook out of your eye” so we are complacent with our current situation.

My actual first first thought of the poem was judged by its title and I thought it might be a little risqué or lovey dovey….I was way off.

No comments: