Monday, November 10, 2008

"To His Coy Mistress"

I found "To His Coy Mistress" somewhat difficult to read. After reading it a few times I gathered that the speaker was trying to seduce a woman, or make her fall in love with him. I thought it was somewhat ironic with the way he spoke. He was saying he loved her but he used many exaggerations; which made it seem that he wasn't genuine. At first I found it some what romantic by his exaggerations, " My vegetable love should grow/ Vaster than empires, and more slow" (lines 11-12). When I read further I got the idea that the speaker was speaking more lustfully and it was just a mere ploy, he didn't mean what he was saying. " Now let us sport us while we may;/ And now, like amorous birds of prey"(lines 37-38. With this line, I feel as if he is almost is saying it in a jokingly manner. By the title of the poem, I feel the woman (coy mistress) must be a shy and a innocent girl, and I wonder what she decides at the end of the poem. Does she go for him or does she realize it is just a ploy as well? To me the ending isn't very clear, and I didn't understand it very well, but I am interested in knowing.

No comments: