Monday, November 10, 2008

To His Coy Mistress

I really enjoyed this poem. I wonder if it is more acceptable now to have an affair then in 1681 when the piece was written. Clearly the narrator of the poem did not feel free to be able to have an affair. I also found it interesting to read the historical references. In line 10 the narrator states, “Till the conversion of the Jews.” I wonder if this is meant as an anti-semetic view or if is speaking of strength of their views. The tone used in this piece gives the reader a lot of information. It reflects the sarcastic tone but yet it also shows the narrators raw desires. I have not experienced wanting something or someone to such a desire and then not being able to have them. The narrator in the last couple of lines shares the pain of not being able to fulfill his desires, “Thus, though we cannot make our sun, (Line 45).” It is funny because I almost feel sorry for him.

1 comment:

KristinMarieA said...

Reading your blog, I have a better understanding the poem, I didn't realize that it was about an affair, I suppose that is why it says Mistress in the title. It makes a lot more sense to me now.