Monday, November 10, 2008

"To His Coy Mistress"

I liked reading the poem “To His Coy Mistress”. After reading it a couple times I thought that it was humorous how the narrator was trying very hard to get this woman to love him or at least become his lover. He must have really found her attractive and irresistible, because it seemed he wanted to boost her confidence and pay her compliments so he might have a chance with her.”For, lady, you deserve this state,/Nor would I love at lower rate” (lines 19 & 20). I think that he wasn’t really in love with her as he may say, but he rather would just like to an affair (because by the way he is talking she is quite beautiful). “And tear our pleasures with rough strife/Thorough the iron gates of life” (lines 43 & 44). It seems kind of pathetic that he has to go through all this trouble in trying to seduce this woman, but I guess you have to give him credit for doing so.

No comments: