Monday, November 10, 2008

Porphyria's Lover

This poem kind of reminds me of Romeo and Juliet! To people deeply in love ending in death. Although it wasn't both who died, it was the selfish doing to the man because he was worried that the lady wouldn't stay with him forever. He was scared that she might not always love him, thus the easy solution: kill her! This poem also reminded me of the short story we read earlier this semester, "A Ross For Emily" where Emily kills the man she loved because she was afraid that he, like everyone else she cared about in her life, would leave her. I wonder what kind of message Robert Browning was trying to portray in "Porphyrais's Lover". How is it possible that someone so much in love with someone could kill them because they couldn't stand to see them leave and love someone else. I think it's pure selfishness. A real "man" would let his love go and be content with her loving someone other than himself because a real "man" would never harm his love. "Murmuring how she loved me - she/Too weak, for all her heart's endeavour." (21-22) He must have been an insecure man with no trust in his love to believe that she loved him and wouldn't leave him. It seems to me that the only reason she would have left him would be if he was mistreating her, which judging by his actions, wouldn't completely surprise me.

No comments: