Monday, November 10, 2008

Mending Wall

In the poem "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost it is written about a wall that seperates the speaker and his neighbor. I think of it as a fence in the yard. Some people do not like the fence because they see it as a wall to keep them out, others see a fence as something to keep something in. Throughout the poem, the words "Good fences make good neighbors" (line 27 and 45) These words speak loudly when I think of my neighborhood. There are many fences and each house is sectioned by the fence. I have a fence but it is not to keep the neighbors out but to keep the dogs in. The speaker does not seem to want the wall there but he and his neighbor go out each year and replace the fallen stones. "My apple trees will neer get across/And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him" (line 25-26) The speaker does not like the wall and is trying to explain that even if the wall was gone, he would not try to get to close into his space. I think this is a good example of a physical wall between neighbors and maybe a wall we put up emotionally for allowing some people to get past the wall, and making sure others don't get to close. "Good fences make good neighbors" is a good sentence to describe the poem and to give insight into his neighbors mind.

No comments: