Monday, November 10, 2008

"Mending Wall"

In the poem "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost illustrates the conflict between neighbors. You get the idea of this because of the repeated line "Good fences make good neighbors" (lines 26, 45). The speaker questions this and doesn't understand what he might have done to offend his neighbor "And to whom I was like to give offense" (line 34). I believe the speakers feels they can get past their differences and be friends but the neighbor has no intentions in getting to know him. "He is all pine and I am apple orchard" (line 24). I feel that this does happen between some people today. Others might feel the need for privacy but some people might take that as an offense and that their neighbor isn't friendly or doesn't want to get to know them. I personally like to have open space but I don't have a pet or children of my own. I feel that it is more friendly that way. My neighbor has a fence up and I don't take any offense because they have a small child and a large dog who needs the space to run, but we are good friends. Now everyone feels the need to be friendly with their neighbors either and I know I hear a lot of gossip about that on my block about the people who don't. Its sad really that it is such a big deal, I myself wave and smile at least. This poem might also have deeper meaning about friendship other than just two neighbors and the conflicts between friends.

No comments: