Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"My Papa's Waltz"

Theodore Roethke’s poem “My Papa’s Waltz” is one of my favorite poems that we have read so far. The part that I liked the most was the part “We romped until the pans/ Slid from the kitchen shelf;” (Lines 5-6) I think that was the part I liked the most because the father likes to spend time with his child, which is the way it seemed in the poem. The end was also good. “Then waltzed me off to bed/ Still clinging to your shirt.” (15-16) Makes me think of spending a perfect evening waltzing, then being tucked into bed by my father. The part that stuck out most to me was the beginning “The whiskey on your breath/ Could make a small boy dizzy;/ But I hung on like death:/ Such waltzing was not easy.” (1-4) The father may have had just one drink of whiskey or had a lot, but he still spent time with his child so that shows that he really does care for his child.

No comments: