Monday, November 10, 2008

Ode on Grecian Urn

I have to admit the first time I read Ode on a Grecian Urn I had no clue what it was about. As I read it over a few times and listened to the audio annalist, things began to become much clearer. With some help figuring out the poem, I really began to like it. I feel as if I am being brought into someone’s mind to be shown their thinking process. I think much like this poem. My thoughts go up and down and some times all around. You can see this in two different lines within one stanza, “More happy love! more happy, happy love!, (line25)” and “A burning forehead, and a parching tongue, (line 30).” I am amazed at what all this poem says while the speaker is staring at an urn in a museum. I don’t think I would ever spend that much time thinking about an object in a museum. I have in the past often wonder what people are looking at so long. This has helped me to understand better what a person could be thinking of while taking hours to go through a museum. It is amazing to me how so much symbolism comes from an urn. I wonder if the speaker would have had this realization with some other object or painting. If this message truly came from the urn or was simply their at the time the speaker was processing his thoughts.

No comments: