Sunday, September 28, 2008

"The Lottery"

This story was not what I expected. When I think of lottery, I think of winning something of value that is pleasant.  Getting stones thrown at myself and the possibility of death is not something that is pleasant. While reading the story at first I didn’t think it would be that bad of a thing to get rid of when the towns’ people were talking about Tradition. I thought it was a splendid idea for a way to get the community together. When Old Man Warner said “that over in the north village they’re talking of giving up the lottery” and “Pack of crazy Fools” (408); I actually agreed with him at the time. Once I found out what the lottery was it sickens me and I think very differently of Old Man Warner. I was curious to find out who would get the lottery and what it would be. I was confused when Tessie Hutchison demanded them to redo it. I thought well they won the lottery, didn’t they? I thought it was ironic that she ended up drawing the slip of paper with the black mark.  I was also confused as to why Bill was forcing the paper out of her hand, I thought she would be happy if she won. Once the villagers started picking up the stones I was lost as to what they were going to do with them but I knew there had to me some twist. I thought to myself, what kind of lottery uses stones? I was mortified when Tessie was struck with the stones. This is definitely a tradition that should no longer continue.  

No comments: