Friday, October 3, 2008

"The Chrysanthemums"

In the story of "The Chrysanthemums", I believe Elisa lived a lonely existence, even though she had her husband. It seemed the only thing she felt that she was good at was planting. I got the sense that she had few people to talk to. I don't believe her husband paid too much attention to her, so she emerged herself in planting. When the man came and she conversed with him, I felt she was a little jealous of his life. He traveled and followed the weather. She stated "It sounds like a nice kind of way to live" (634). Elisa was real excited I think to explain something she knew alot about to this man. She was proud to describe what he should tell the woman that wanted the chrysanthemums. I believe this made her feel important. I think when Elisa saw the wagon, she thought he had only wanted the pot and threw away the chrysanthemums. In that moment, she thought it was over. "The thing was done. She did not look back" (639). I felt she thought she wasn't important when she turned away and cried. The chrysanthemums she so loved would not be shared by the woman who could of been a friend for her. The only hope she had now was that her chrysanthemums would of grown outside the pot she called home.

No comments: