Monday, September 29, 2008

"The Lottery"

When I first started reading the short story, “The Lottery,” it reminded me of the movie “The Island.” “The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o’clock” (405). As I kept reading, the way the adults gathered for the lottery reminded me of my family during a coffee break. “Soon the men began to gather, surveying their own children, speaking of planting and rain, tractors, and taxes. They stood together, away from the pile of stones in the corner…” (405). I also found it interesting how the town viewed Mr. Summers. “He was a round-faced jovial man and he ran the coal business, and people were sorry for him, because he had no children and his wife was a scold” (405). I found this interesting because owning a coal business would mean that you are very well off financially. As I read on I thought that the lottery would be good. However, as I kept reading I slowly realized that winning the lottery was bad. “Bill Hutchinson was standing quiet, staring down at the paper in his hand. Suddenly Tessie Hutchinson shouted to Mr. Summers, “You didn’t give him enough time to take any paper he wanted. I saw you. It wasn’t fair!” (409). Afterwards I began to realize why the boys stuffed rocks in their pockets and protected a pile they had made. I thought that this story was a little bit disturbing. How could you take a life like that? This story, however, could be looked at as having a moral. Winning isn’t always good.

No comments: