Thursday, October 2, 2008

" The Chrysanthemums"

In John Steinbeck's short story called "The Chrysanthemums" A woman is in love with her flower bed and has a great talent for planting. “I’ve a gift with things, all right. My mother had it. She could stick anything in the ground and make it grow. She said it was having planters’ hands that knew how to do it.” (633) Elisa Allen seems to be a happy loving wife, The first time in the story that she talks with Henry they had a good chat but then when they were in the car it seemed as if she was not happy with him at all or maybe she was just not happy with herself. "Nice? You think I look nice? What do you mean by 'nice'?" Henry blundered on. "I don't know. I mean you look different, strong and happy." "I am strong? Yes, strong. What do you mean 'strong'?"(638) by these remarks she seems to be very hostile. Maybe because the man said that living in a wagon and traveling is not the life for a woman upset her. I am confused as of why she started crying in the ending of the story. "She turned up her coat collar so he could not see that she was crying weakly--like an old woman"(639) why did she go from asking if woman actually went to watch fights to saying wine would be plenty, than out of nowhere she turns away and starts to cry. I suppose this could have many reasons behind it. Did she feel really bad for the life of the man living in a wagon? Maybe she was upset because she wanted a different more adventurous life. Or juts maybe she is not happy with her husband for some reason unknown to readers.

No comments: