Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Animal Cop Erika

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been around animals. While living on a farm at one point in my life, I took count of every barking, mooing, swimming, slobbering, fuzzy, dirty, sleeping, purring creature we owned and was astounded that they added up to 33. That’s a lot of attention needed to be given, as well as food! So here I was, barefoot and ready to pet anything. I never really had an interest in racing or showing our animals, just playing and petting them. My interest came more from the area of caring and defending for them. Neglect of these innocent animals was the last thing I wanted. That is why becoming an animal cop would be my ultimate dream job.

When I watch “Animal Planet”, I like to envision myself as that strong-willed woman holding vindictive animal owners accountable for abusing and neglecting their animals. I would love to hold an authoritative disposition like that by putting cruel animal owners in their place. However, the realities of that job don’t fit my personality. I may not be able to hold a stern voice, and I would most likely let my emotional side get the best of me. Many of the cases dealt with are saddening and infuriating, even though the job is rewarding. I have seriously considered pursuing this dream job but I would need to move to a big city where the crime rate is high. Also, I would first need to go through schooling to be a police officer and then broaden that career into animal rescuing.

Even though life presents obstacles, I am not limited to what I want to do with my life. That is why I’ve chosen to go to college to get my bachelor’s degree as a veterinarian technician. Getting a higher degree in this field will only open the doors for many other opportunities I never thought would be presented to me. I will still be involved in animal rescues and continue to fight for quality treatment of animals. I do know that my future career will be rewarding for me either way, because working with animals for the rest of my life would still be a dream come true.

No comments: