Friday, January 15, 2010

My Greatest Memories

Growing up, I moved a lot and met many great people on my path to discovering myself and what I loved. Yet, there have always been many fond memories of mine that I’m so proud to have accomplished. My best memory that comes to mind is making the choice to start leaning the violin in fifth grade. It’s an amazing, beautiful instrument and it brought me to know so many great people along the way.

Starting to learn a musical instrument at eleven years old is quite a challenge but I was up for it. The whole “violin thing” was so new to me and a bit foreign I must admit, but I was so excited to learn. I remember the first few music lessons after school and all the fun times we had. Many kids at that age were not into learning instruments but I thought it was a great new hobby and I was eager to learn more.

By junior high I was getting to know a lot more about reading music and new techniques to use with my bow. Junior high was the time I met so many great friends that I still talk to today. Having people close to you when going to a music class makes the whole experience so much better. One can learn a lot when friends are close by to practice with.

As high school approached I was at a totally new school, while half of my friends went to a different school. But, I still continued on with the violin. There were quite a few old friends there and I loved my new teacher. Half way through my freshman year in W.I., I was forced to move to M.N. to live with my Dad. That was a huge change for me, and unfortunately, Park Rapids schools didn’t offer orchestra as an elective, only band and choir. So, at that point, not being able to afford private lessons, I was forced to resign from orchestra at fifteen years old.

Though I only played in a group for four years, I enjoyed every bit of it and learned a lot. It takes around seven years to master the violin; so I believe I was well on my way putting over half of that time in already. Someday, when life isn’t so hectic, I would love to get back into playing. After all, my experience of learning the violin is one of my greatest memories.

No comments: