Friday, January 15, 2010

"Oh I Wish the 50's Could Come Back In Style"

History has always been my favorite subject. I love learning about what had to happen to get us where we are today. As a little girl, I never played in the present. I always pretended that it was Civil War time. I have often wished that I could go back and live during a different era of history. As a little girl I wanted that time to be the 1800’s and I still would not mind that, but if I could choose right now, I would choose to go back in time to the 50’s.

There are many reasons why I love the 50’s, but I’ll just explain a couple. Everything was simpler in the 50’s. Life was not moving as fast as it is today. When I think about the 50’s, I think about the show Leave It to Beaver. Children did not have expensive toys to entertain them; they had a ball and a glove. They spent time doing quality activities, not sitting in front of a TV or computer screen all day.

During this era, women rarely worked outside the home and if they did it was not looked on favorably. I like this about the 50’s. I have no problem with women working; I plan on being a working mother myself. I just think it is neat that this was just simply expected. The husband provided for the family and the wife took care of the family. It was not like today where each family decides what is best for them; it was just a known fact that a woman’s place is in the kitchen, not in the workforce.

My favorite thing about the 50’s is the attire. I love women’s clothing from the 50’s. I always picture June Cleaver. She wore dresses that went to just below her knee, high heeled shoes and every hair on her head was perfectly in place. When she was in the kitchen she wore an apron. When she went outside, she wore a stylish hat, coat and gloves. She was a wife and mother, but managed to stay in style at the same time.

The 50’s strike me as a good time in history. I often wish that the 50’s would come back. In a way, I can make it come back. I can apply the things I like about the era to the era I’m living in at the present. Things like watching less TV and spending more time outside. These are little things, but they can make a difference in my life.

(Title is a line from a song by Dean Brody)

1 comment:

Kara Carpenter said...

Hannah Jo, I too love history, and love the idea of th 50's. It looked good on tv, but for myself, when I tried the stay at home mom, it wasn't for me.