Saturday, January 16, 2010

Diagnostic Essay

Jennifer Haverkamp
Diagnostics essay
College Writing 11
The most important thing I have learned from my recent past is that whatever happens is what was supposed to happen and that there is no point in dwelling over something you can not change. You can go for hours on end thinking of the “what ifs” and the “if I could just redo that” but in the end it is not going to help the situation at all. I used to be a person who would dwell on a situation for hours until I found a quote in a magazine that changed everything for me.
For as long as I can remember I have worried about everything that could happen to me or the people I love, sometimes it got to the point where I could not sleep for weeks. One day I was reading a magazine and I saw a quote and it gave me a new perspective on life and I was so amazed how something that seems so small could have taken me by such surprise. The quote was “Remember whoever comes are the right people, whatever happens is the only thing that could have, whenever it starts is the right time and when its over, its over”.
That quote made me realize that all the hours I spend worrying about pointless things are hours I could be spending doing something that really matters. There is no telling what extent this lesson will take me as it was not long ago that I realized this but I know this is and will forever be the most important lesson I will take away from everything in life.
I have learned that I can not change what has already been done and that I can take away the lessons I learned from a mistake and make sure they do not happen the next time. I no longer spend hours worrying about things that have already happen or are in the future because I know that whatever happens is what was supposed to and there is no changing that.
Now that the quote “remember whoever comes are the right people, whatever happens is what was supposed to, whenever it starts is the right time and when its over, its over” has been burned into my brain, I can spend those hours I used to spend worrying, doing homework or spending time with my loved ones. In my short 18 years of life I think I have learned a lesson that I will never forget.

No comments: