Friday, January 15, 2010

Memorable Event

It all started with my husband Paul and the love for horses. His family had horse when he was younger. My family did also, but my mother said we were scared of them.
I got my first horse when I was about twenty-five years old. She was a mare, dark brown in color, her name was Ginger. My husband showed me how to tack her up with riding gear, how to sit properly and use the reins.
We went out for my first ride. Ginger and I did great. She listened to me, even though I had no clue what I was doing. She just followed the other horse and I was fine with that.
My husband pointed out rules, while riding. Don't let her eat when she's walking. Make sure she listens to your commands. Make her go the way you want , otherwise she will get spoiled and think she can do what she wants.
I just nodded my head yes. But at that point I didn't care what she did as long as I stayed upright on the horse. I was so happy to finally own a horse and be able to ride one without freaking out. Due to the fact that horses are large animals and weight a ton.
One day we decided to trailer the horses to my mom and step-dads. We were going to help round up cattle. We tacked up the horses and were ready to ride.
I was sitting on Ginger in the coral and my husband came by with his horse kinda fast. I don't know what exactly happened next, Ginger started bucking and I couldn't hang on. I hit the dirt ground with a thump. I had knocked the wind out of my self. My husband jumped off his horse and came running over to me. Asking me if I was hurt, all I could do was shake my head, due to my air was slightly gone at that point.
My horse at that time, had taken off around the building. My step-dad, caught up with her and calmed her down. As I got off the ground and started to walk over to my horse, I told my husband I was never getting on that horse again. My step-dad told me to get on her and not to let her get away with doing that. He said, "You have to show her who's boss." I looked at him like he was crazy. But I got on Ginger with wobbly legs and rode off with her and the others, to round up cattle. I wasn't a happy cowgirl.
We did sell that horse, Ginger. I got a new horse, a better one. I did get better at riding and soon fell in love with horses. I have been bucked off since but if it wasn't for my step-dad, I wouldn't be the cowgirl I am today.

1 comment:

Hannah Jo said...

Hi LaDonna! I enjoyed reading your post. I too love horses and have grown up with them. I'm here to tell you that getting bucked off isn't all bad once you get used to it! My horse tries to throw me every time I ride her. Just pinch your thighs together and grab the saddle horn and you'll stay on :) My dad always told me to get right back on when I got bucked off as well. It is a very important LIFE lesson.