Thursday, January 14, 2010

Diagnostic Essay

History has always fascinated me. There is a certain allure concerning the events of the past, and the only way to know what really happened is to have witnessed what transpired. First and second hand recollections can only be used as a reference. If I could travel to any point in time, I would select the time period that encompasses the creation of the universe; also known as the Big Bang.

If you want to know who you truly are, it is important to know where you come from. I want to know this information on a fundamental level. I have always wondered how the universe came to be what it is today. If I could go back to that point in time and witness the birth of the planets, of matter itself, I would finally be closer to knowing exactly who and what I am.

According to the most recognized scientific theory the creation of the universe was initiated by a miniscule disturbance in the nothingness that is commonly referred to as space. It is always perplexed me that there is the possibility of something being created from a void. If a tiny ripple in the fabric of space could trigger the creation of countless worlds, you would imagine that there could be a way of harnessing that raw power to solve the Earth’s current energy crisis. To witness such an event would be indescribably amazing for me.

It is often said that when one door closes, another is opened. This is applicable to me because if I had the ability to travel to the moment directly preceding the Big Bang, a thousand new questions would replace that mystery. My thirst for knowledge is never-ending, and the more intangible the answer seems, the more time I tend to devote to the subject. It doesn’t truly matter to me whether or not I will arrive at a definitive answer, what I enjoy are the possibilities.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Seeing the birth of the Universe would be a grand thing indeed! A unique and wonderful idea - Doctor Who and I approve.