Friday, January 15, 2010

Move Over Spielberg

If I had no constraints on time, money or other such trivial things to fret about, I would probably end up making movies as my dream job. All of the skills and interests I have acquired over the past many years have lead me to a place where I have the technical and artistic acumen to make film making my perfect career. Over the past five years I have honed my skills as a 3D artist and animator, and developed an eye for composition of shot. Before that period I was a regional actor and well known speaker, having won many performing awards. My entire life I have been devoted to storytelling in one form or another.

Movies have always held a fascination to me as a great equalizer amongst people, much like music, my other passion. Not all people can agree on politics, but most can agree that Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a great movie, and that Gigli is two hours of your life that you will never get back. Movies can change opinions and lives. I remember the first time I saw The Matrix, it literally changed the way I thought and perceived the world and the people around me. Not in any freaky cyberpunk way. But it did change my philosophy in ways that still ripple through my life. Whenever I have a stray moment of transcendentalist doubt, I just remember the words of Morpheus… “Do you think that’s air you’re breathing now?”

As I said before I am a 3D artist and have worked in the medium for about the past five years. I have been in the process of creating several characters and storylines for ideas I have been developing. I work mainly with a free suite of animation and modeling software. This is the filmmaking I am intensely interested in because I believe this to be the future of the art form. It is a long and involved process which literally takes hundreds of hours of work to see the slightest amount of progress, especially as a one man operation. But the rewards are great when the process is well done and done correctly.

After seeing James Cameron’s AVATAR I find that my hope for the future of my kind of film making wasn’t relegated to second rate kids movies. Often CG (or computer generated) animation is used in the most crude of fashions, like the old stop motion style animations of Ray Harryhausen. Recently this has been the downfall of many studios looking to exploit this technology for profit. They see it as a cheaper way of making bad movies. The capability of virtual environments to accurately mimic physical characteristics, motion, and materials has grown exponentially over the past few years alone. Add to this the immersion of realistic 3D and there is another layer of illusion the filmmaker can use to capture an audience and tell a deep, resounding story. This is something I would truly love to do.

No comments: